Friday, July 30, 2010

Steven Moffat Talks Writing For Series 6 of 'Doctor Who'


Steven Moffat recently gave an interview to Den of Geek, hot on the heels of his new series Sherlock's success; but the showrunner had the time to talk about a few things concerning his writing on the upcoming series 6 of Doctor Who.

Moffat made it clear that despite his very heavy workload, the Doctor Who showrunner confirmed that not only he wrote the Christmas episode, but that he will be writing five of the thirteen episodes of series 6. Just like he did for series 5:

''I’m doing the Christmas special plus five, so it’s the same. Six again.''

Steven Moffat admitted that he is following former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies' writing rhythm:

''I’m basically following what Russell did. Having worked out the sums and worked out how he does it, I thought that’s a perfect way of doing it.''

Moffat further adds that:

''But there is a no way of balancing this. The last year has been extraordinary. I’ve had about four days off, and that includes Christmas day. I work every weekend, I get up early in the morning, I go to bed late at night. There is no way of balancing it.

It’s extraordinary, but it’s great fun too! Great fun, so long as it doesn’t kill me.''

Steven Moffat also admits that since writing for Doctor Who, he now conciously writes episodes with ''widescreen viewing'' in mind:

''Probably since I got involved in any capacity in Doctor Who, which has the power of a big picture. And I tend to plot Doctor Who in terms of big pictures, so there’s that. And we can do big pictures really, really well now on television.

So, yeah, I think I probably do. I think anyway television has become a lot more cinematic because it is possible for it to be. Think how far we’ve come from a multi-camera studio. So, yes, you suppose you do. You think ‘that’ll look cool’.

The Doctor Who Christmas episode is now currently being filmed but no word as of yet as to when filming will commence on series 6.

Please go here to read the rest of this very interesting interview, in which Steven Moffat talks more about Sherlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment